Monday, September 14, 2015

Famadiana....The Turning of the Bones

Manahoana Daholo!

Crazy week! So much happened this week I don't know if I can put it all in this one email! It was just absolutely nuts!

To start off, on Monday Elder Becker and I were invited to a Famadiana! For those that don't know what that is, it's the Malagasy turning of the bones! Every few years or so, Malagasies will open up their fasanas (tombs) and replace the burial clothe on their Dead Ancestors! They throw a huge party and everyone just gets flat out drunk! Well, Elder Becker and I attended along with the other 10 missionaries in Antsirabe, haha! It was so much fun and I got some way cool pics and videos!

Wednesday, was a cool/sad day! To start off, Elder Obioma and I attended an MLC meeting,via Skype, with President Foote, The AP's, and all the other Zone Leaders in the Mission! We talked about how we could better improve the mission and it was really cool to be a part of! After the meeting I got a call from our Branch President with some very sad news...Sitraka's Mom had passed away on Tuesday night.

For those who don't know who Sitraka is, he is our Branch Mission Leader and he is with us everyday helping us work. He also just barely received his mission call and should be leaving here in a few months! My heart literally broke when I saw him the day after his mom passed away! His eyes were so swollen and puffed up and there had been no doubt that he had been crying! I told him that I loved him and that everything was going to be okay! It's going to be tough for Sitraka for the the next little while, but I know that he'll get through it! His mom was a very good member in the church and she is now doing a better work on the other side! On Friday we attended the Fahoriana (Funeral) which was done very well by our Branch. We had to walk forever to get to the fasana but Sitraka was happy and that's what matters in the end!

We ended our week with interviews yesterday! I had an awesome interview with President Foote and we got to talk about a lot of things! President Foote is such a cool President and I really like his style on how he does things! It was a great way to the end the week!  All the investigators are still doing great and are progressing well! Keep your fingers crossed for Voangy's Baptism on October 3!

Well, that's my weekly report! I sure do love all you guys and I hope that everyone has a great week!

Am-pitiavana, 
Elder Stringfellow
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK

Selfie in the Tomb

Turning of the Bones Part 1

TOB Part 2

TOB Part 3

TOB Part 4

TOB Part 5

Standing on top of the tomb

Pulling the corpse out...(in the roll)

Inside the Tomb

Inside the Tomb



Missionary Super-Heroes

I don't know what to say....

Ballet...maybe

Fun with broomsticks

More fun with broomsticks

A mouthful of burger

Sitting at church

More standing on top of the tomb

Burgers on scones

Deep thoughts

Deeper thoughts

I guess they love it there

Muscles, sort of

Being Goofy

hum

uhm

different angles with broomsticks

Repeat

walking in the high desert

The scone burger...but we haven't figured out what is actually on it yet

Happy Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment