Monday, July 20, 2015

The Call...

UPDATE:

....At 2:53 a.m. on Monday July 20th we received the following letter from Elder Stringfellow...

Manahoana Daholo!

To start off, I want to talk a little bit about the transfer news we received last night! I received a call from President Foote yesterday around 7:00 pm and he personally gave me the information about what I am going to be doing this transfer! Well, it looks like I'll be TRAINING! Oh man, I'm so excited! I pick him up on Thursday morning and I can't wait to meet him! I'll give you all the details next week!

Since I'm picking up my "kid" at the office in Tana, Elder Mumford and I drove all the way up this morning! Our car is completely fixed now and we drove it up in hopes of getting it replaced! Hopefully with a truck, haha! Man it's good to be back in Tana! Tana is my birth place and I look to have some fun for the next few days!

Besides all the craziness that has been going on the past few days I had an awesome week! To start off my week I completely finished the New Testament! It was such a great experience to read about so many great testimonies of Christ and to learn more about his life! It has really opened my eyes to how influential he is in my life! Everything I do evolves around him in some way or another! If you haven't read the New Testament, START NOW! I promise everyone of you that if you read it you will find things that will change different aspects of your life!

This week was also Elder Mumford's last week....Oh man I love Elder Mumford so much and it was so great to have worked with him! He's done a lot of great things here in Madagascar and there are a lot of people that are going to miss him! He's taught me so much and I plan on implying his teachings into my work! Man, I'm going to miss him!

Well, that was my week! It was a crazy week but It was probably one of the most spiritual weeks of my mission thus far! Sorry this letter isn't as long as usual but I gotta go! I love you all so much!

Love
Elder Stringfellow

....................................................
At 8:48 a.m. I (Coach Boog) was able to briefly chat with him via email during football practice. Then I texted [and woke up Wendi] and Ryan was able to get back onto a computer and began a chat with his mom, sister and brother, as follows:


Ryan:  
I don't know if you're awake but I found a computer and I'm on right now!

Mom:  
Hey Ry!  Are you still there?

Ryan:
Yep I'm still here!

Mom:
Wow!! You have had such a great week!  Do you know the name of the elder you will be training?

Ryan:
I have no idea yet but I'll find out on Thursday when I meet him! Sorry I haven't sent any pics this week....just be expecting lots and lots next week!
Mom:
No worries on the pictures, I will have something to look forward to next week!!  Is everything good?  Health?  Any luck trading in the toaster?  Where are you staying in Tana?

Ryan:
Yep everything is good! My health is a lot better! I had a way nasty sinus infection this week but don't worry! I took my cold medicine and I'm all better! I've been talking to the mission office today and it looks like we'll be getting it replaced with another mission car! I'll find out which car probably as Thursday as well! I'll be staying with Elder Mumford until he goes home on Wednesday! The APs are letting me go around with him today and tomorrow to do whatever he wants before he goes home which is super fun!

Mom:
Boo on the sinus infection, but glad the cold medicine helped ( unlike the Immodium). Hooray for a new car to get you in those remote areas a little bit easier:-). Watch the bumps and save the oil pan!  Your tow truck was very sketchy...be careful and only use Essence:-). I am so glad you get to hang out with Elder Mumford for a few more days and that you are having some fun!  Have you happened to see Norbert?

Ryan:
 I haven't seen him yet and probably won't....Tana is so big and he lives all the way on the other side of town!

Mom:
I just wondered, I have no idea what the logistics of Tana are like. How was your phone call with President Foote?

Ryan:
It was awesome! I think it's really cool that he personally calls all the elders to tell them about the upcoming transfer!

Mom:
 I think that is neat too!! There is something special about a person who takes time to get to know the people they associate with. President Foote sounds like an incredible man!! Take note of all the things that you like about him so far, he is teaching you great things in small ways!! How are your clothes and shoes holding up?  Is it getting any warmer?

Ryan:
I love him already, haha! My clothes and shoes are still doing great
so don't worry about that! Weather is still pretty cold but I think
I've adjusted to it pretty well!

Sydnee (His Sister):
Hi Ryan its Syd! Today you have been out 11 months!! Wow that flew by fast. I love and miss you and I hope you got my email about girls camp! Anyways have fun being a trainer and picking up and new companion! Love you! :-)

Ryan:
Hey Syd! I know I can't believe that it's already been 11 months! Time is just flying by! I did get your email about girls camp and it sounds like you had a blast! I'll try and have as much fun as possible being a trainer, haha! Love you too!

Mom:
Your baby sister is grinning from ear to ear!! She is so excited that she got to talk to you!  She is headed to Lagoon with Jodi and her kids today, but talking to you "made her whole day!" Where are you? Isn't it getting late there?  Are you close to where you are staying?

Ryan:
I'm at the mission office right now! It's about 7:00 pm here so it's not to late! The house is really close!

Mom:
Will you be driving your new companion back by yourself? Are you seeing any of the guys from the MTC at the mission home?

Ryan:
Yep, I'll be driving him back along with another companionship! I did get to see Elder Glazier, Elder Mack, and Elder Cooley today!

Mom:
Oh man, Elder Glazier!! You guys got a good start together!  Elder Mack's mom is in our Mada Moms Dads group I will have to tell her you saw him, she will be excited!! Do you have any questions for me?

Ryan:
Umm...I don't think I have any

Sam (His Brother):
Hi Ryan it's Sam. I just got back from football.

Ryan:
Hey what's up! How was football!

Sam:
It was good, it's going good so far. Have you heard anything about the home run derby?

Ryan:
NO! Who won?

Sam:
Do you know who Todd Frazier is?  He plays for the Reds.

Ryan:
Of course I know who he is! The third basemen for the Reds! He was in the Home Run Derby last year! Did he win??

Sam:
Yes he won, and he did it in Cincinnati. People were going crazy. In the final round he hit 14 to win it. Mike Trout got the MVP again, he hit a lead off home run first inning. Three Rockies made it. 

Ryan:
Oh man, that's so sick! That's my boy Mike! Doing it right! Which Rockies Made it?

Sam:
Nolan, Tulo, and DJ. 

Ryan:
Oh man that's so sick!

Sam:
Ya it was pretty cool. Well, I gotta go I hope you have a good week. 

Ryan:
I gotta go to! I hope you have a good week too!

Mom:
This is mom again!  Have a great week kid!! I love you so much!! You will be an awesome trainer!! Remember all those things Elder Hein did to start you off right!  Lucky, lucky new missionary to get to serve with you! Make this week the best one yet!! I LOVE YOU!

Ryan:
Love you too! Have a great week!

No pictures today, but the conversation was worth every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment