Monday, October 20, 2014

Trying to avoid getting the gamboo...

Hey Everyone!

It's been another crazy week here in Mada! There's been a lot of sickness going around in the house but luckily I didn't get it. Three of the Elders in our house got really sick including Elder Hein. It all started on Tuesday with fevers and stomach aches. They were unable to work on Tuesday and Wednesday but luckily I only had to stay home on Wednesday with them. I was able to work on Tuesday with Elder Rangy who is a Malagasy Elder in our House. Luckily, he speaks English and the work went very well that day. However, it still was really nice when Elder Hein was able to work again on Thursday.  [Elder Hein's blog talks alot about Elder Stringfellow, here is the link to Elder Hein's Blog:  http://elderjesseyhein.blogspot.com]

Our new church still isn't finished which is a big bummer! The church we have right now is just too small with 158 people in attendance and 17 of those being investigators! Another great week for our church and I love our members so much! This weekend we get to watch conference with them on Sunday and I can't wait.

We have a few BAP dates coming up! We were supposed to have a baptism this Saturday with Tsimangiki and his wife but we completely spaced about conference so hopefully it will happen next week. Norbert and his family are going to get baptized when the new church opens and Sister Gina should be getting baptized sometime in November! The work here is amazing and I can't wait to see what the future holds!
Some pretty crazy stuff is going on right now with the government here in Mada! I don't know the whole story but I guess the ex president who got kicked out of Madagascar a few years ago came back this week and people aren't very happy about it. There have been a few riots in Analakely where he used to live but we where there today and everything seemed fine. Luckily if something does go wrong the mission is right on it and we won't visit Analakely for a few days. Plus, we live in Talatamaty which is like 2 hours away from Analakely. If something goes wrong the mission will be on it and everything will turn out fine. I don't think anything is going to happen anyway but if it does just know that I'm fine!

Language wise I think I'm doing okay.....Elder Hein is letting me teach more and more which is awesome! I still don't say much but I feel like I'm getting better at Malagasy! The hardest part about the language for me right now is trying to understand what they're saying back to me! It's hard! They speak so fast and they have a weird accent but sometimes I can understand what they're saying! Like today for example at soccer! It was super hot and I kept going back and forth from this little store to get this frozen yogurt Popsicle type thing. Every time I went back the lady would sort of laugh at me but It was so hot and the Popsicle things are so dang good! The last time I went back to buy one she said "Today's Hot huh" but in Malagasy! I could understand her! Just a few simple words but I could understand her! Haha, it sounds dumb but I got really excited after that.

Well, that's about it for the week. We're working very hard everyday and the work is going great! I love it here in Mada and there's no place I would rather be. I still haven't seen anything real crazy yet other than the drunk guys! Haha, they crack me up! I got some pretty good pics this week and I'll make sure to send them home. I love you all so much and I'm so glad that everything is going well back home! Love you all!
[UPDATE - Both Wendi and Clark were able to briefly chat via email with Elder Stringfellow today about his current status and he is doing super good despite all the sicknesses.  Actually he said it is rare not to be sick.  The bottom line is that the water is dirty and they have to be super careful not to drink tainted water.  They have a nice filter on their water system in their house and Ryan mentioned that he is drinking more soda pop instead, which before his mission he hadn't had for 6 years.  He said he is definitely going off soda when he gets home though. He also asked for a few things to be sent to accomodate them moving into a rainy and hot summer season. He also mentioned that he feels sorry for us that have to go to school and that he would much rather serve a mission than go to school, hahaha!]
Elder Stringfellow (See Pictures Below)
Our House
Our Dining/Living Room
Our Kitchen
View of their current Area
View of Cow..When they knocked on door of house..this was their view



No comments:

Post a Comment